Westside has mandated Covid vaccines, including boosters, for all our employees. 100% of our staff have received the first two doses with just a few waiting until they are eligible for the booster shot.
This Opening Plan is the result of careful and collective planning by our Educational Leadership Team, with important input from our faculty, administration, staff, parents, and trustees, in consultation with members of the medical and public health community. The plan prioritizes the health and safety of our students and employees and is informed by data and recommendations from Seattle King County Public Health, Washington State, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ultimately, these agencies’ health requirements determine safety practices on campus.
Westside’s Decision Making Process
In devising this Opening Plan, we have prioritized the physical health and safety of our students and staff, while also acknowledging the importance of the social and emotional health of our children to have some in-person connection. (For more on Westside's Safety Guidelines, visit the Covid Safety Guidelines page.) Throughout our process, we have kept the school’s mission, vision, and values at the forefront, as well as what we know about child development and what is best for our students. In answering the questions about what we can do, we have also asked ourselves the question of “should we?”
Our guiding principles in this process have been:
- the health and safety of all our people - students, families, and employees
- government recommendations and restrictions
- social and emotional health and well-being
- equity and inclusive accessibility
- relationships and relational teaching and learning
- developmentally appropriate approaches to teaching and learning
- joy, positivity, and hope
- WHAT WESTSIDE IS REQUIRED TO DO
- WHAT WESTSIDE WILL CONTINUE TO DO
- WHERE WESTSIDE WILL LOOSEN RESTRICTIONS FOR THE FALL
- BUSES, HOT LUNCH, AND MORNING COFFEE
- WILL STUDENTS BE REQUIRED TO BE VACCINATED?
- START AND END TIMES FOR 2021-2022
- EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM (EDP)
- MAJOR DATES CALENDAR 2021-2022
- WESTSIDE'S TRAVEL POLICY
Westside School has had a strong track record of doing all we can to keep our community members safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic. We expect all Westside community members to remember that we are in this pandemic together, and we have to support each other to keep our community safe. Please support our entire community by abiding by CDC and WHO guidelines in your day to day life. Wash your hands frequently, wear a mask in public, practice social distancing, and stay home when sick.
On the Westside campus, our guidelines are similar, and we expect all community members to abide by them:
- Handwashing: All individuals entering campus are expected to wash their hands upon entering the building, before and after eating, and frequently in between.
- Masks: All individuals entering campus must wear a mask. For everyone's safety, masks with ventilators will not be allowed. We have disposable masks on campus if you need one. Students are expected to wear their masks at all times, with the exception of when eating and specific outdoors ‘mask breaks’.
- Social distancing: All students on campus will be assigned to a ‘learning cohort’ that will not mix with other learning cohorts. Within cohorts, everyone is asked to do their best to maintain social distance.
- Stay off campus/no visitors: to minimize the number of people in our building, parents and visitors are not currently allowed on campus. We will be revisiting this during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Transparency: If you or someone in your family has a known exposure, symptoms of COVID, or a suspected/positive case, you must inform us at the school. We commit to informing you if there are exposures on campus.