Westside has mandated COVID vaccines, including boosters, for all our employees.
This COVID-19 Operating Plan is the result of careful and collective planning by our Educational Leadership Team, with important input from our faculty, administration, staff, parents, and trustees, in consultation with members of the medical and public health community. The plan prioritizes the health and safety of our students and employees and is informed by data and recommendations from Seattle King County Public Health, Washington State, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Westside’s Decision Making Process
In devising this COVID-19 Operating Plan, we have prioritized the physical health and safety of our students and staff, while also acknowledging the importance of the social and emotional health of our children to have some in-person connection. (For more on Westside's Safety Guidelines, visit the COVID Safety Guidelines page.) Throughout our process, we have kept the school’s mission, vision, and values at the forefront, as well as what we know about child development and what is best for our students. In answering the questions about what we can do, we have also asked ourselves the question of “should we?”
Our guiding principles in this process have been:
- the health and safety of all our people - students, families, and employees
- government recommendations and restrictions
- social and emotional health and well-being
- equity and inclusive accessibility
- relationships and relational teaching and learning
- developmentally appropriate approaches to teaching and learning
- joy, positivity, and hope
Westside School has had a strong track record of doing all we can to keep our community members safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic. We expect all Westside community members to remember that we are in this pandemic together, and we have to support each other to keep our community safe. Please support our entire community by abiding by CDC and WHO guidelines in your day to day life. Wash your hands frequently, wear a mask in public, practice social distancing, and stay home when sick.
On the Westside campus, our guidelines are similar, and we expect all community members to abide by them:
- Handwashing: All individuals entering campus are expected to wash their hands upon entering the building, before and after eating, and frequently in between.
- Masks - Face masks are now optional in all spaces on the Westside campus. We will continue to reevaluate this policy throughout the remainder of the school year.
- Outside Visitors - Westside is excited to gradually welcome parents and visitors back on campus. Visitors and volunteers who interact with students (pizza day, field trips, guest speakers, etc.) will continue to need to provide proof of vaccination. Same-day testing will no longer be required.
- Transparency: If you or someone in your family has a known exposure, symptoms of COVID, or a suspected/positive case, you must inform us at the school. We commit to informing you if there are exposures on campus.