Westside Family HUB
Welcome to Westside's Family HUB
Westside's Family HUB holds important information for currently enrolled families such as recent communications and links to family resources. The Westside Family HUB is translatable into Traditional Chinese, Spanish, Amharic, Vietnamese, and Arabic using the link on the bottom right-hand side of this page.
Please visit the Veracross Family Portal for the following:
- Student Report Cards
- Family Directory
- Westside Billing
- Magnus Health Link
- Middle School Page (videos, class lists, schedules)
- Lower School Page (videos, class lists, schedules)
- Early Learning Page (videos, class lists, schedules)
2023-2024 School Start & End Times
- Preschool: 8:45am-2:45pm
- Pre-Kindergarten–2nd grade: 8:30am-3:00pm
- 3rd-4th grade: 8:30am-3:15pm
- 5th-8th grade: 8:30 am-3:30pm
- RECENT COMMUNICATIONS
- WESTSIDE FAMILY HANDBOOK
- HOT LUNCH ORDERING
- SCHOOLOGY (MS FAMILIES ONLY)
- OUTDOOR PROGRAM FAQ
- WESTSIDE LIBRARY
- HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELING
We are excited to announce that we will be offering an optional hot lunch program this year. We will be partnering with Lunch Ladies LLC to provide lunches for preschool – 8th grade students. The hot lunch option will begin on Monday, September 18.
Highlights of the Lunch Ladies program:
- Lunch price starts at $5.95 – 6.50 depending on the lunch item. Lunch comes with the main item and two sides - usually fresh fruit and veggies or other items that pair well with the main item. Sandwiches come with fresh fruit and pretzels. A larger portion (typically a second entrée) can be purchased for an additional $1.25.
- A-la-carte items can be purchased and added to your student’s lunch.
- Ordering is done online through Boonli – see ordering instructions below.
- The monthly Lunch Menu can be viewed by registering an account for your student.
- Ordering can be done on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. The cutoff time for ordering is 1:00 pm for the following day.
- You will receive an email each Saturday with the upcoming weekly menu and a reminder to order for the week.
- Hot lunch will NOT be available for ordering on WFA Pizza Days.
Please refer to the FAQ on the Lunch Ladies ordering site for more detail on their cancellation policy, how to cancel a lunch, and other important information. If you have any further questions, please contact Wendy or Alex directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-444-9573.
- Go to https://lunchladiescatering.boonli.com/login
- Click on Create an Account..
- Enter the school code west274 for Westside (case sensitive).
- Create a "User Profile" and then enter the information for your student(s). Use the “location” section to assign them to their classroom (PS-4) or grade level (5-8).
- Sign in with your username and password.
- Select the date you want to order for and click on "Add Items."
- Make your selections. A side screen to "Review Today’s Order" will pop up with your item choice.
- Go to Next Day/Cart. Once all selections have been made, click on Go to Cart and proceed to Checkout.
- Pay at Checkout.
- Do not close your browser prior to receiving the confirmation display or your order may be interrupted and not fully processed. Items left in your shopping cart will not be processed and your order will not be placed.
Westside Middle School utilizes Schoology to support communication between school and home regarding teaching and learning. This system is used as a tool to organize student learning into a central location. It holds information about the individual courses your child is enrolled into, assignments and their due dates for those courses, feedback and grades on formative and summative assessments. There is a central calendar for all courses, so families at home can support their child(ren) in their learning. Schoology is a new system for Westside in the 2023-24 school year. We will launch its use in late September for 7th and 8th graders and early October for 5th and 6th graders. There will be training opportunities for families to understand how to utilize the system.
At Westside School we believe in the value of experiential education: hands-on projects, field trips, service learning, and outdoor experiences all provide opportunities for students to engage in authentic learning. Our curriculum intentionally incorporates several off campus trips each year. Starting in third grade, this includes an overnight outdoor adventure that integrates academic learning goals with personal and collaborative growth. Starting in fourth grade, students will take two multi-day overnights per year.
Fall 2023 Trip Waivers and Packing Lists
Welcome to the Westside Library search page! Here you can search what is available to check out in the Westside library. If you have any questions, please reach out to Librarian, Whitney Winn at email@example.com.
Use the links below to see what books we have available. You can also check out book lists created by Whitney for various grade levels, genres, and reading interests.
Page 2 Books Partnership
Page 2 Books, an independent bookstore in downtown Burien, will donate 15% of all purchases back to Westside School that are either made through our custom ordering website (listed below) OR in the store when you mention Westside School at checkout. This fundraiser is ongoing and runs throughout the year. Page 2 carries books, puzzles, games, art supplies, and more. Orders ship anywhere, so please share Westside School’s custom site with your friends and family.
Westside's Page 2 Book Ordering Page
If you prefer to shop in the store, be sure to mention Westside School when you check out so that 15% of the sale is credited back to our school!
Questions? Email Page 2’s program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family involvement contributes to the richness of our community and directly impacts your student’s experience at Westside School. Research shows a positive partnership between the home and the school has a powerful influence on a child’s achievement and sense of belonging at school.
All Volunteers who plan to work around students or drive on field trips must fill out the Westside’s Volunteer Form each year.
Drop Off Procedures
Preschool: All days
Pre-K: All days
1st Grade: Tuesdays
2nd Grade: Wednesdays
3rd Grade: Thursdays
4th Grade: Fridays
5th-8th Grade: All days
Drop Off Windows:
Preschool Pick Up Procedures
Pre-K-8th Pick Up Procedures
- Pre-K-2nd Grade - 3:00pm (line starts at 2:50)
- 3rd & 4th Grade - 3:15pm (line starts at 3:05)
- 5th-8th Grade - 3:30 pm (line starts at 3:20)
- Each family will receive a car placard with the names and grades of their children. Please place this on your dashboard when entering the campus for pickup.
- The pickup line starts on the east side of 34th, goes down 104th, and into the parking lot. Please join the line by turning onto 34th Ave. from 106th St.
- If you are picking up a child other than your own children, please tell the staff member present as you enter the line.
- Once on campus, you will be directed into one of two lines. 14 cars are loaded at a time (7 in lane 1 and 7 in lane 2)
- Based on your spot in line, you will end up at a specific cone color. Your children will be ready at your cone under the supervision of a Westside School staff member.
- Once all seven cars in the queue are loaded, the first car will be directed to advance and exit onto 34th Ave. The other cars in the queue will follow.
- The next seven cars will then be directed to the pick-up cones, and the process continues.
SIBLING PICK UP
Parking Areas (Morning)
- Westside School Parking Lot
- Non-school side of 104th St. SW
- 32nd Ave. SW
- Surrounding area, avoiding fire hydrants and driveways
- Preschool - Parking lot or surrounding area
Please DO NOT park in the following areas from 8:00-8:35am:
- The lane closest to school is drop off only from 8:00-8:35am
- Either side of 34th Ave. The lane closest to the school is drop off only.
- The school side of 104th St. SW.
Parking Areas (Afternoon)
- Street parking on 104th St.
- 32nd Ave SW
- Surrounding area
- Preschool - Parking lot or surrounding area
Please DO NOT park in the following areas from 2:00-4:00pm:
- Either side of 34th Ave. in front of the school.
- The school side of 104th St. SW.
Good Neighbor Policy: Please do not park on the west side of 34th Ave SW (across from the school's main entrance) under any circumstance – even if it’s just for a short time. Our neighbors use this for residential parking. We intend to be courteous, respectful neighbors. We also ask our families to be mindful of fire hydrants and driveways.
If grandparents, nannies, or other family members or friends are dropping off and/or picking up your children, please make sure they understand our procedures.
The Westside Family Association (WFA) is an inclusive community that automatically includes all parents and guardians at Westside School. The WFA serves as a valuable structure for families to come together, build connections, and engage with our school community in meaningful ways that align with our school's mission and vision.
We accomplish this by offering a range of opportunities for families to connect and support one another through various avenues, such as parent socials, events for the whole family, monthly WFA meetings, and by coming together to support our incredible teachers and staff. Our aim is to empower all Westside families to contribute to the school in enjoyable, sustainable, and meaningful ways that further enrich the educational experience for our children.
As parents, your involvement and active participation in the WFA are essential in fostering a thriving school community. We encourage you to explore the numerous possibilities the WFA offers, sign up to attend or volunteer at events and engage with fellow parents and school staff. Together, our vision is to make a significant difference in the lives of our students, families, and staff, by strengthening the entire Westside School community.
Please don't hesitate to reach out to this year's co-presidents of the WFA with any questions, or to get involved! Email Kathryn Heathcote and Michelle VandenBrink at email@example.com.
2023-2024 Meeting Dates
- Friday, September 29
- Friday, October 20
- Friday, December 1
- Friday, January 19
- Friday, February 9
- Friday, March 15
- Friday, April 26
- Friday, May 31
Pizza Day is the Westside Family Association’s main fundraiser. Proceeds fuel events and activities we sponsor throughout the school year, including family socials, Halloween Fest, Teacher Appreciation Week, and educational speaker events. Every family can participate in pizza day regardless of their financial situation. Much of our community really looks forward to these pizza days as it’s a kid favorite, families get a break from lunch prep, and teachers and staff can enjoy a slice or two!
We could not run these pizza days without our amazing Pizza Team volunteers! Huge kudos to our team of families who have stepped up this year:
How it Works
Pizza days are scheduled roughly twice a month (note: there is only one pizza day in June, given the short month). Families will be able to sign up in the fall. Families can change their orders as needed throughout the year. The deadline to sign up/edit orders will be the Sunday before each pizza day.
Pizza Day Dates
All Pizza Days are Wednesdays.
Wednesday, September 27
Wednesday, October 11
Wednesday, October 25
Wednesday, November 8
Wednesday, November 29
Wednesday, December 13
Wednesday, January 10
Wednesday, January 24
Wednesday, January 31
Wednesday, February 14
Wednesday, February 28
Wednesday, March 6
Wednesday, March 20
Wednesday, April 17
Wednesday, May 1
Wednesday, May 15
Wednesday, May 29
Wednesday, June 5
If you would like to volunteer during pizza days, we will be sending a sign-up out in the fall. Volunteers will be able to sign up for dates through January. Once we return from the winter break, we will open up dates for the rest of the school year.
This is a popular volunteer activity, so to ensure as many of our interested families get the opportunity, we are asking that families sign up for a maximum of two days for the year. If interested, families can also be asked to be placed on a backup volunteer list in case a volunteer is unable to make a shift last minute.
We have partnered with Pizza Gallery for several years, and families will have the choice of ordering from the following options:
Families will also have the option to donate additional slices to help make Pizza Day affordable for everyone.
If your family would prefer not to participate, please talk to your children about why (maybe dietary, or prefer they not consume pizza) to avoid the first pizza day tears from kids who don't get pizza. It is important that everyone feels included at Westside and we also want to honor family needs and preferences. When families don’t order pizza, we try to respect their wishes in case of allergies etc. We appreciate you communicating with your children or teachers if need be.
The Westside Family Association also believes that all students, no matter their financial situation, should be able to participate in Pizza Days. On the pizza ordering website, we include a discount code and instructions on how to order if a family is experiencing financial strain.
If you have questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team is moderating that email and will respond as quickly as possible.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Phone: Dial 988 or (800) 273-8255
The Steve Fund
Crisis line for young people of color
The Trevor Project
Crisis line for LGBTQ Youth
Phone: (866) 488-7386
Asian LifeNet Hotline: (Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Fujianese)
Phone: (877) 990-8585
King County Crisis Line
Variety of support services for families and individuals in crisis.
Phone: (866) 427-4747
Half Day, 8:45am-11:45am, $325
In this camp for young naturalists, we will venture outdoors and observe birds and plants in their habitats. Each morning, we will spot local plants and wildlife and explore the science of our green and feathered friends. Campers will use binoculars, collect plant specimens for various projects, dissect owl pellets, play bird-themed games, and learn about bird conservation. Our budding botanists will identify local and invasive plants, create artwork from natural materials, and use handheld microscopes to make closer observations of various plants and flowers. We will learn about the importance of conservation, native species and the preservation of local ecology. Birds and plants are all around us, let's take a closer look and cultivate our appreciation while having fun outdoors!
Instructor: BEAM Experiences
Questions, suggestions, or can't find what you are looking for? Contact Shoshannah Hoffman.