Transitioning to high school can be an exciting, uncertain, and anxious time for many eighth grade families. We also appreciate this process brings with it a range of emotions, questions, and concerns, so please peruse this page for all relevant information regarding independent, parochial, public, and a selection of boarding schools.
Westside offers a variety of resources to assist current seventh and eighth graders as they embark on their high school journey.
- High School Conversations with 8th Grade Families (Sept 1-3, 2021)
- Eighth grade families are offered the opportunity to meet individually with our high school counselor to discuss their family high school search. We discuss specific student needs, family values, and the various options that could be a fit.
- High School Information Night (Tuesday, September 28, 5:30-7:00pm)
- This annual event is open to all middle school families and offers information about the high school application process, including public schools. Past students and parents will share about their experiences with the search process. Families will learn about what worked for them and what they’d do differently if given the chance.
- High School Prep Class
- During Trimester 1 and 3, 8th graders will work with middle school leaders on Fridays to prepare for their transition from middle school and high school. Trimester 1 will be focused on researching desired high schools, application, essay and interview prep, and preparing for school visits. During Trimester 3, students will be focusing on the social and emotional transition from middle school to high school.
- High School Visits At Westside
- Each fall, high school admissions representatives from parochial and independent schools visit Westside to meet with interested students.
- The High School Search: A Family Guide
- Westside middle school families receive a link to our up-to-date guide to the ins and outs of the high school search, including open houses, student visits, testing and more.
Getting Started and Key Steps of the Process
- Explore websites and high school fairs to establish a shortlist of schools that interest your child (there is a list of links at the bottom of this page)
- Attend Open House events for your chosen schools
- Schedule campus tours (policies on tours may vary from school to school)
- Once your child feels the "fit" is right for them, fill out an application (see deadlines below)
- Each school has their own application criteria (feel free to contact the Westside School High School Counseling Team for advice, support, and assistance)
- Schedule a shadow day and interview
Stay in touch with Ted Holmes, our Director of Admissions, throughout the process for guidance and support
High Schools in the Seattle Area
Below is a list of high schools in the Seattle area, with links to their websites. Please click on any of the schools that may interest you and read up on what they have to offer.
NWAIS Independent Schools:
Bush School · Downtown School · Lakeside School · Northwest School · SAAS · University Prep · Seattle Waldorf High School
Annie Wright School, Tacoma · Cate School, California · Dunn School, California · St. Michael's University School, Victoria, BC
Seattle Catholic Schools · Bishop Blanchet High School · Holy Names Academy · John F. Kennedy High School · O'Dea High School · Seattle Preparatory School · Seattle Lutheran High School
Aviation High School · Center School · Chief Sealth High School · Cleveland STEM High School · West Seattle High School · Vashon High School