Current Openings at Westside School
Located in the Arbor Heights neighborhood of West Seattle, Westside serves 350 students in preschool through eighth grade. For 35 years, the school has emphasized knowing and educating the whole child, learning by doing, and the cultivation of creativity across disciplines.
Why would you want to work at Westside?
- Westside uses collaborative teaching in grade-based groups so you'll meet frequently with the other members of your teaching team.
- We don't tend to brag, but we have amazing students and a small teacher/student ratio, so you'll have the opportunity to really get to know your students, their strengths and areas where they can be best stretched and supported.
- In Middle School, teachers lead Advisory groups that meet daily. These groups have ten or less students that gather together to work on homework together, check-in to see how their classes are going, play games, work together on project like Middle School Olympics, Trash Fashion Show, and our annual Cardboard Arcade.
- Our overnight Outdoor Education starts in 3rd grade, so Westside teachers have the opportunity to explore different parts of the state while getting to know their students in a unique capacity.
- Westside hosts a variety of professional development experiences throughout the year creating opportunities for growth for our staff and faculty.
- From a Bob Ross style painting night, to snowshoeing adventures, or community service removing blackberry bushes at a nearby park- we plan events and gatherings to optionally spend time together and build community off campus or after-hours.
- EXTENDED DAY PROGRAM CHILDCARE STAFF
- INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT
- MIDDLE SCHOOL FIELD INSTRUCTOR- FALL 2018
- SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
Reports to: EDP Coordinator
Hours/Days: 2pm - 6:00pm or 3:00pm - 6:00pm Monday - Friday
This position has potential to be full-time during the summer.
This individual is an integral part of the Westside School faculty, supports the mission, philosophy and policies of the school and works under the EDP Coordinator.
● Works cooperatively under the supervision of the EDP Coordinator.
● Facilitate afterschool activities, classes, check-in and check-out procedures.
● Supervise outdoor and indoor play.
● Attends scheduled staff meetings as required.
● Maintains positivity and professionalism in communication with everyone in the
● Assists EDP Coordinator in establishing a safe, enriched environment suitable for
● Supervises activities and games on the playground.
● Supports daily EDP prep and maintenance.
● (Specific to preschool & prek) Understands and implements the requirements of the Department of Early Learning Standards in the Early School and Extended Day programs.
● Meets conditions of employment: TB Test (preschool & prek), Certified in CPR and First Aid
● Meets Department of Early Learning Standards:
-Have a current food handler’s permit.
-Meet basic MERIT (STARS) requirements.
● Communicate student observations with students’ classroom teacher.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: The role of Lower School Instructional Assistant is to provide support to students in the classroom and throughout the school day. The Instructional Assistant’s day may include leading small groups during literacy or math lessons, working one-on-one with students, supervising students during recess and lunch periods and working with students to problem-solve social and emotional conflicts with peers.
Additionally, Instructional Assistants provide leadership during our Extended Day Program, which provides morning care support for families beginning at 7:30am and evening support until 6:00pm. We encourage and support our Instructional Assistants to implement programs, teach classes and practice teaching small groups while working in the extended day program.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
•A desire to become an elementary school teacher or other related fields in education
•Experience working with elementary school students
•A willingness to learn about, reflect upon and support initiatives that benefit students
•An expressed effort to collaborate with colleagues, accept feedback and conduct one’s self in a professional manner
•Associates or Bachelors Degree or working toward completion of an academic certificate
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday, with hours set between 7:15am-6:15pm.
Start Date: on or about August 2018
Compensation and Benefits: This is a full-time position for the 2018-2019 academic school year. Westside School offers a generous benefits package to full time employees. Compensation DOE.
To Apply: Applicants should submit a cover letter describing their interest in and qualifications for this position, a resume, and three professional references via email to email@example.com.
Westside School is an equal opportunity employer.
We are currently looking for instructors for the following trips:
5th Grade: Camping and Hiking in Mt. Rainier National Park, 9/11/18 - 9/14/18
The 5th grade will be camping for 3 nights, exploring the park through short day hikes, and bonding as a group through games, initiatives, and shared adventures.
6th Grade: Exploration on the Olympic Peninsula, 9/11/18 - 9/14/18
This trip includes hiking in Olympic National Park, a visit to the Elwha River and dam site, and cultural activities with the Makah tribe.
Required Dates: September 10, 2018 - September 14, 2018, with possible additional prep and orientation days.
- Current CPR + WFA, WRF, or higher medical certification Experience working with youth, preferably middle school age
- Diverse outdoor experience Minimum of 21 years of age Pass a Washington State background check
- Current drivers license and willingness to drive 12-15 passenger vehicles
- Preference given to candidates with experience leading outdoor overnight trips with youth in the specified trip regions, and those with experience teaching LNT and other wilderness outdoor skills.
Contact: If interested, or for more details regarding either trip and/or instructor responsibilities, please submit a resume and two references to Colleen McCullagh, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERSWestside School is looking for both teachers and instructional assistants with experience working with children in grades, pre-kindergarten and eighth grade, to add to our substitute roster. We also need substitutes for music and performing arts, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, physical education, and visual arts.
The ideal candidate will be accessible for early morning calls. Candidates with partial availability during the week are also encouraged to apply. Please submit resume and references to email@example.com.
Westside School is an equal opportunity employer.
Westside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to build a more culturally diverse workplace. Westside does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, economic status, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.