Westside School teachers and staff work collaboratively to inspire creativity, innovation, and to deepen our sense of community. Westside faculty are exceptionally qualified in our fields, committed to being lifelong learners, and are passionate about our work. Our academic structure places a high value on integrated curriculum and project-based learning, with intentional administrative support. At Westside School we value different backgrounds and ideas and we strive to build an inclusive community. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
Located in the Arbor Heights neighborhood of West Seattle, Westside serves ~400 students in preschool through eighth grade. 31% of our student body are Black, Indigenous and People of Color. Westside’s Lower School serves 200 students in Kindergarten-4th grade and is organized into grade level teams of 2 teachers and 2 instructional assistants, who collaborate to both implement and design meaningful curriculum.
Westside is in search of individuals to join our Lower School team to support classrooms in all grades, 1st-4th grade. We are seeking candidates who are able to support the school’s focus on diversity and inclusion and who have a background that demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of intercultural fluency.
The role of Lower School Instructional Assistant is to provide support to students throughout the school day. Many of our Instructional Assistant will spend time working in the two classes that make up the grade level and will work in collaboration with both teachers. The Instructional Assistant’s day may include leading small groups during literacy or math lessons, working one-on-one with students, and supervising students during recess. It involves supporting lead teachers to build a community of learners in the classroom who respect and care for one another. Additionally, the Instructional Assistant participates in one afternoon per week of our Extended Day Program, which provides after school care support for families.
The Lower School Instructional Assistant works collaboratively with their classroom teacher and participates in the life of the school, attending some in-service days and school celebrations, and upholds the mission, vision, and values of Westside School.
- Reports to: Lower School Head
- Start Date: August 17, 2023
- Assists in general supervision in the classroom and performs duties as assigned by the classroom teacher.
- Establishes familiarity with the overall program and related resources and materials in order to assist actively in learning activities.
- Values and incorporates diverse perspectives in daily student interactions and within the curriculum.
- Supports classroom expectations that create a safe and comfortable environment for all students, in partnership with the lead teacher.
- Works with students in small groups, individually, or as a whole class.
- Helps to maintain an attractive classroom environment and materials.
- Sets annual goals for focus and growth with the Lower School Head.
- Shows initiative by asking for assignments that would expand performance and capability, under the direction of the lead teacher and/or Lower School Head.
- Performs such tasks and duties as assigned that would be generally within those functions to be expected at a school or as mutually agreeable between the Instructional Assistant and the teachers or Lower School Head.
- Supervises the playground/lunchroom as assigned, following established recess rules and discipline, and reporting notable student behaviors.
- Participates in one afternoon session per week of the Extended Day Program.
- If qualified, provides short-term substitution in the classroom for absent teacher in emergencies.
Successful candidates will have the following personal and professional attributes:
- Love of working with children in an outstanding professional setting.
- Prior experience working with preschool or elementary school students.
- A willingness to learn about, reflect upon, and support a dynamic learning environment.
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff.
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents.
- An expressed effort to collaborate with colleagues, accept feedback and conduct oneself in a professional manner.
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Associates or Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position for the 2023-2024 academic school year. The salary is $40,000 and will include longevity bonuses. Westside School offers the following competitive benefits package:
- 403b Retirement Savings Plan upon eligibility
- Medical and Dental insurance
- Life, AD&D, and Long-term Disability insurance
- Various voluntary insurance benefits including vision insurance, short-term disability, term life insurance, and many more
- 2 Days of Personal Time Off per year
- 5 Days of Sick Time Off per year
- School vacations and 11+ paid holidays throughout the year
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.