What is America the Beautiful database?
America the Beautiful is brought to you by the encyclopedia masters from Grolier and the fine folks of Scholastic, Inc. This fantastic online resource is inspired by the Scholastic book series of the same name. America the Beautiful is stock full of facts and figures about our 50 states and U.S. territories, our U.S. presidents, U.S. history, current events, and much, much more! This interactive database is easy to use, enhanced with colorful illustrations, photos, panoramas, and maps, AND provides students’ with an educational and entertaining package, all wrapped into one!
How can I access America the Beautiful?
America the Beautiful is one of the many databases to which the Seattle Public Library (SPL) subscribes. You can access America the Beautiful with a valid SPL library card and pin number. Here’s how:
- Simply follow this link
- Scroll down the page until you locate America the Beautiful
- Click on the America the Beautiful heading
- Log in with your SPL library card number and pin number
- Start exploring!
How do I use America the Beautiful?
As already mentioned, America the Beautiful is very simple to use and easy to navigate from one page or menu to the next. The home page of America the Beautiful is an interactive map of the United States. Simply click on a state to get started OR click on one of the five menu tabs: U.S. Topics, Timelines, Profiles, Games and Almanac.
What can I do with America the Beautiful?
- Explore U.S. Topics like Native Americans and Natural Wonders
- Find interesting facts and figures in the online Almanac
- Click on the highlighted Links to find out more or to access supplementary websites
- View Timelines that pertain to such topics as U.S. History, Arts and Entertainment, and World History
- Read up on Current Events that are updated monthly
- Play educational games about the U.S.
- Learn the lay of the land with more than 400 interactive maps that feature such topics as topography and economy
- Enjoy short and informative slide shows about state history, geographic landmarks, and more!
- Read Profiles of famous people from the 50 States
- Search America the Beautiful for specific U.S. information
- Take advantage of the Dictionary feature to look up words that may be unfamiliar
- Find out more by clicking on the Further Reading links
I have crafted this Newsletter in an effort to spread the word about the extremely handy AND free databases available through our local public libraries. I believe that the databases featured in this Newsletter are fantastic tools that can be used in the classroom, in the library, at home, and beyond!
….stay tuned for more issues of D’BOM, otherwise known as Database of the Month, brought to you by your School Media Specialist!