High School Counseling
Transitioning to high school can be an exciting, uncertain, and anxious time for many eighth grade families. We also appreciate this process brings with it a range of emotions, questions, and concerns, so please peruse this page for all relevant information regarding independent, Catholic, parochial, public, and a selection of boarding schools.
To help get you started, you will find a quick bullet-pointed overview highlighting the key steps in the process.
Getting Started and Key Steps of the Process
· Explore websites and high school fairs to establish a shortlist of schools that interest your child (there is a list of links at the bottom of this page)
· Attend Open House events for your chosen schools
· Schedule campus tours (policies on tours may vary from school to school)
· Once your child feels the "fit" is right for them, fill out an application (see deadlines below)
· Each school has their own application criteria (feel free to contact the Westside School High School Counseling Team for advice, support, and assistance)
· Schedule a shadow day and interview
Stay in touch with your Westside School High School Counselor throughout the process, for guidance and support
Open Houses are a great way for your student to get an initial feel for the kind of school they want to attend. Many high school Admission departments list their Open House dates on their websites. Now is a good time to start looking at the school websites that might be of interest to your child. HINT: It's a GREAT time for them to be looking at websites too!
While a huge part of the selection process for students and parents includes visiting high schools, we also welcome Admission representatives to come to Westside School and give a presentation about their high schools. Information regarding the fall 2016 visits is below. There are also some useful documents available for download, at the bottom of the page, regarding ISEE test prep and the Catholic High School application schedule (dates and fees.)
High Schools in the Seattle Area
Below is a list of high schools in the Seattle area, with links to their websites. Please click on any of the schools that may interest you and read up on what they have to offer.