Applying To Westside
- Learn about the school
- Complete an application
- Preschool Application Process
- Submit a teacher's evaluation
- Submit student transcripts or reports
- Sign up for a parent/guardian interview
- Student observation for preschool, prekindergarten and kindergarten applicants
- Student visit for first through fourth grade applicants
- Middle School application process and school visit (grades five through eight)
We encourage you to take a tour of Westside School. This is your best way to see the school in action and to hear about the program directly from our educators. Please explore our curriculum guides for our Lower and Middle School to learn about our curriculum in detail. REGISTER FOR A LOWER SCHOOL TOUR NOW ON RAVENNA To arrange a Middle School tour, please call our office of admission: 206-932-2511
Westside School uses the Ravenna online application system for all grades including preschool and shares a common PSIS (Puget Sound Independent Schools) application. The Ravenna System will guide you through all of the steps outlined below, as well as keep you updated on the status of your child’s application. We welcome your interest and hope you'll apply for the 2017 - 2018 academic year. APPLY NOW ON RAVENNA
We are not accepting applications to our preschool. This five day program offers a full and half day option. Applying will include the following steps:
An optional tour featuring a close up look at our preschool and prekindergarten, and look at the rest of the lower school. Check Ravenna for scheduled tours. If there are no tours scheduled or none fit your schedule, call our office of admission to arrange yours: 206-932-3511
Student visit day is scheduled for May 23, 10:00-11:00 am. Prospective students will gather in our preschool room for a 60 minute visit. They will go through a short “day” of school, where they'll enjoy songs and fun activities. We invite parents and guardians remain on site during the observation. If you are unable to join us for this session, we will arrange a separate day for your child's visit.
Parent/Guardian interview (choose a time on May 25 and 26) We will use this 20 minute interview to learn more about your applicant and family. It is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Westside School.
Teacher evaluation form (if applicable) Westside School requests you submit at least one teacher evaluation for preschool and pre-kindergarten applicants. If your child is just beginning school and you have no current teacher to complete this form, we suggest you delegate the form to an unrelated adult who has known your child as a caregiver or other capacity such as daycare, Gymboree, music lessons, etc If no such person is available, we will waive this requirement. You will delegate this form to your teacher(s) via your Ravenna account.
You will find all you need to apply when you set up your account on Ravenna.
Westside School requests you submit at least one teacher evaluation for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten and at least two for grades first through eighth. These evaluations can be delegated via the Ravenna system to any teachers you choose. You need only submit a teacher's name and email address and he or she will be notified of your request. Teachers of your choice will fill out a form, which will be entered directly into the Ravenna system. We recommend you ask a current and past teacher to submit an evaluation (two current teachers would also suffice.)
If your child is just beginning school and you have no current teacher, we suggest you delegate the form to an unrelated adult who has known your child as a caregiver or other capacity such as daycare, Gymboree, music lessons, etc. If no such person is available, we will waive this requirement.
If your child is applying to first grade and above have your child’s current school submit student transcripts or teacher reports (reports sent home to you, not the PSIS teacher evaluation forms) to Ravenna. For first through eighth grade candidates, we require your child's fall transcript from the current school year and a full transcript from 2015 - 2016. These will be scanned by Ravenna and uploaded into our paperless system. We gladly accept transcripts for our preschool-kindergarten applicants, but are aware some preschools do not provide written reports. If this is the case for your child, we will waive this requirement.
It is important to us we meet all prospective parents and guardians. We’ll use this 20 minute interview to get to know you better, learn more about your child, and answer any remaining questions you have about Westside School. You will use the Ravenna system to sign up for a parent and guardian interview after you formally apply.
One of the most important pieces of the Admission process for our preschool, prekindergarten and kindergarten applicants is a 60 minute student observation visit. During the regular admission season we will meet prospective students on a Saturday in February. Visiting prospective students will be placed in small groups, where they will go through a short “day” of school. School evaluators will observe prospective students as they participate in group and individual activities. We invite parents and guardians remain on site during the observation. While waiting, you’ll hear from a panel representing various school constituencies, including our Head of School, faculty and current parents/guardians.
If you have applied for admission after our February session we will arrange a class visit for your child on a date that is mutually convenient.
Candidates for first grade will attend a 60 minute observation visit with other prospective first grade students. At this time candidates will take part in a short "school day". Students applying for second through fourth grade will be invited to spend a half day on campus. These visits allow us a chance to get to know your child and to assess his or her readiness for our program., At the same time, these visits give prospective students a real sense of what it would be like to attend Westside School.
Middle School applicants will submit applications on Ravenna, our online application system, where the steps below will be outlined for you.
- Teacher evaluations: Two teacher evaluations are required. For fifth and sixth grade candidates, we prefer one evaluation from this year’s core teacher and one from the previous school year. For seventh and eighth grade, we prefer one evaluation each from this year’s math and humanities teachers. You will delegate these forms through your Ravenna account.
- Student Observation: All Middle School applicants will come to campus for a one hour observation visit. At this time your child will join a group of up to six applicants to work on a project and participate in a group discussion. We invite parents and guardians to remain on site for a question and answer session with the Head of School, a faculty member and a current parent/guardian. You will register for this visit through your Ravenna account.
- Parent/Guardian Interview: We will use this 20 minute interview to learn more about your applicant and family. It is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Westside School. You will register for this visit through your Ravenna account.
- Essay: All Middle School applicants are required to submit a short essay. You will choose from one of three prompts. The prompts are shared by several Puget Sound Independent Schools (PSIS)
- Testing: All Middle School applicants are required to take the ISEE exam. This admission test is offered here at Westside School and throughout the Seattle area.