If you are interested in working in an independent school, check for job postings on the Northwest Association for Indpendent School's (NWAIS) website.
Current Openings at Westside School
10404 34th Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98146
Assistant Head of School for Teaching & Learning
Start date: July 2016
Westside School, a vibrant pre-kindergarten through eighth grade school serving 350 students in West Seattle, is seeking a talented leader to oversee our educational program. Westside School has experienced a great deal of growth over recent years, doubling in enrollment and adding a Middle School in 2010 to a long established Lower School program. In 2015, the school completed construction of a beautiful remodeled facility and is adapting to life in its new home this year.
The Assistant Head of School will work with the faculty to facilitate a school-wide focus on curricular articulation and purposefulness, as well as on teaching excellence throughout. The Assistant Head will have direct oversight of the Lower School, so the ideal candidate will help the faculty build on a cohesive Westside School experience from pre-kindergarten through adolescence, and support the collaborative work of teaching teams at each level.
The Assistant Head of School reports to the Head of School and is a member of the senior administrative team. S/he serves as the school’s primary decision maker in the Head’s absence. Direct reports include the Middle School Head, Dean of Students, Director of Technology, and Director of Extended Day Programs.
Qualities of a Westside School Education
We believe children experience the excitement of learning through academic achievement, creative expression, and cooperation with others.
High Academic Standards
We believe the cultivation of problem-solving, innovative analytical thinking and complex communication skills provides a strong foundation for lifelong success.
We believe children gain confidence through positive support and clear behavioral guidelines within a safe learning environment.
We believe students become caring members of a global community by treating each other honestly, with respect and generosity of spirit.
The Assistant Head of School for Teaching and Learning will:
● Work with the Head of School and faculty to articulate a clear logic model for the Westside School curriculum, from pre-kindergarten through eighth grade, which can guide content choices, project development and a school-wide understanding of what a “Westside School Education” comprises.
● Support a high quality of collaboration among teaching teams in a way that values individual talents while clarifying school-wide approaches to curriculum planning, documentation, assessment and integration
● Work with the Head of School to revise and then oversee systems for faculty evaluation, goal setting and coaching
● Facilitate the professional development program for all faculty members, creating a process that aligns with the pedagogical goals of the school and is customized to the differentiated needs of teachers
● Lead the hiring process for teaching faculty in partnership with the Middle School Head, and ensure a high quality orientation and mentorship for new faculty
● Work beside families and faculty to insure a productive partnership characterized by strong communication, mutual trust, and a shared understanding of Westside School’s educational programs
● Be a visible presence in the school; champion the educational goals of a Westside School education among faculty, parents and trustees. Be a community resource for educational context, goal setting and conflict resolution
● Work with the Dean of Students to foster and support a student culture of compassion, kindness, resilience and respect for individual differences
● Support the Admission process in the Lower School
● Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
● A minimum of eight years of direct classroom teaching
● Masters (or Doctorate) in Curriculum & Instruction, Ed. Leadership or other relevant field
● An accomplished track record of instructional leadership
● Broad-based, hands-on experience with curriculum design and implementation
● Exceptional skills as a deep thinker, collaborator, and facilitator, along with a disposition to act and achieve closure
● Experience working positively and effectively with families
● A clear and up-to-date understanding of current research and best practices
● Strong organizational, facilitation, and time management skills
● Highly developed interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. The benefits package is excellent and includes professional development opportunities.
Westside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to build a more culturally diverse workplace. Westside does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
Send resume/CV and cover letter, along with a list of three to five references to our hiring committee c/o email@example.com